So after months and months of putting it off, your dealership is ready to finally get started on their car dealership blog. Congratulations, I’m truly excited for the journey you’re about to begin!
For the purpose of this article, I am going to assume that you have already bought into why you should have a blog for your dealership. At this point you are just looking for some guidance on what to start writing about.
Don’t worry I’m not going to bore you with a bunch of search engine optimization mumbo jumbo that your website provider is probably ramming down your throat. I’ve been in your shoes. Starting a blog is the easy part. The problem is a majority of blogs do not make it to see their 1st birthday because of a lack of vision, process, and content ideas.
I often stumble across a dealer’s blog and see the same patterns time and time again. Their blog will have 3-5 posts and most of the time it is a limited time special sale or a current promotion (that is expired ). Don’t forget the last entry was one years ago. They failed because they weren’t bought into blogging and were not prepared. I won’t let that happen to you.
Answer your customer’s questions:
It’s simple. Your future car buyers are going to Google and typing in all the questions they may have about their next vehicle purchase or service. Once Google realizes that you are the authority on these topics you are going to make it rain with the search engines!! Simple Terms: MORE TRAFFIC
Talk to the staff and find out “What are the top 10 questions” customers ask on a regular basis. Do this for sales and service and you will be able to get a list together in no time. Once you have the topics it is easy. Why you ask?? Because you are the expert on these topics dammit! Hitting the top of Google on car review you sell is going to be a home run.
Review Posts Secret Sauce
Here is a quick secret. Review everything!!! New car comes out.. Review it!
New option comes out..Review it (Navigation, Blue Tooth, Iphone App).
Online shoppers will add the word “review” to the end of all kinds of search queries.
But please, please, pretty please do not just copy and paste a review off the manufacturer’s website. We are looking for fresh original content. This has got to be one my biggest pet peeves I see dealers doing all the time. It’s just flat out lame.
20 Article Ideas for your Car Dealerships Blog
I know it seems like a real pain in the ass to come up with new articles but c’mon you are a car dealership, there are so many things to talk about. Hopefully this list will give you some inspiration and get the wheels in motion. Oh ya.. I haven’t worked in a car dealership since 2008 and I came up with these in about 20 minutes.
- Should I lease or finance my new car?
- Will I get more money selling my car private or trading it in at the dealership?
- Is it safe to do a credit application on a dealership’s website?
- What isn’t covered in the manufacturer’s warranty?
- Where in (your town) can I get my car detailed?
- Where in (your town) can I get an oil change?
- Looking for a new Honda Civic? Try a Chevy Cruze ( comparison article)
- Should I buy a new car or a used car?
- What kind of down payment do I need to finance a car?
- Do I need to take my car to the dealership I purchased it from for service?
- How can I terminate my car lease early?
- Here are some new ways to – Wax Your Own Car (How to do stuff posts)
- Top 5 questions to ask yourself before you buy a new car? (used vs. new)
- Who qualifies for the Honda (your make) graduate program?
- Trailering specs for the GMC Yukon (enter your make/model)
- ABC Motors review of the new 2012 Chevy Volt (every model you sell should have a dealer produced review)
- What is an admin fee and what does it cover?
- Top 3 places to get your car washed in ENTER YOUR CITY
- Winter tires vs. All season tires?
- Top 5 myths about buying a new car (get your hit list from staff)
Please use the comment box below to add any titles that you think would work. I’d love to turn this blog post into a Car Dealer Blog Title Bible!
Bonus Blogs For More Ideas
Here a few dealer blogs that are doing it right (UPDATED JAN 2014)
- Capital Ford
- Patty Peck Honda
- Checkered Flag
- Mills Buick GMC
- Subaru of Witchita
- Lafontaine Auto Group